Various student organizations and associations which are active within the AUEB community are presented below.
- “SOTIRIS PETROULAS” STUDENTS’ UNION
- The AUEB Student Union is named for Sotiris Petroulas, in memory of the heroic AUEB student leader who was killed during a demonstration on July 21, 1965 at the intersection of Stadiou and Christou Lada Streets in Athens. The Board of Directors of the Student Union consists of eleven members who are elected during the student elections which are held each spring. The Student Union has played a decisive role in important issues of concern to students and has undertaken significant initiatives to upgrade the studies at the University. At the same time, there are other associations and organizations that promote student mobility, cultural activities and so forth, such as Erasmus, AEGEE and AIESEC. They are described below.
- ERASMUS STUDENT ASSOCIATION
The Erasmus Student Association of Athens University of Economics and Business is a politically independent, non-profit organization. It was founded in February 1992 by AUEB students who had participated in the Erasmus programme. The mission of this Association is to foster the mobility of Greek and foreign University students, so that more young people will learn about countries they have not visited, their culture and, generally, things that bring people closer together, regardless of their country of origin, religion, economic background or political beliefs.
Some of the main functions of the Association are to get in touch with foreign students before their arrival in Athens, arrange suitable accommodation for them, welcome and provide them with necessary information upon their arrival, organize various cultural events, parties, excursions and sports activities and, more generally, provide assistance with anything that a foreign student might need while in Greece.
With regard to Greek students interested in participating in the Erasmus Mobility Programme, the Association helps them by participating in meetings held by the Departments to inform them about foreign universities; helps them to choose a university that is suitable for them; brings them in contact with other students participating in this Programme; and organizes the "Erasmus Village" event at which incoming Erasmus students present their Universities to Greek students who want to study abroad.
- AEGEE STUDENT ASSOCIATION
AEGEE ("Association des États Généraux des Étudiants de l'Europe") – also known as the "European Students’ Forum” – is one of the largest pan-European organizations of students and young scientists from all disciplines. Its name comes from the Aegean Sea, which is one of the places where democracy was born, and from “Les États Généraux", the first General Assembly at the beginning of the French Revolution. AEGEE is a voluntary, politically independent and non-profit organization open to students from schools in all European Union member states. AEGEE was founded in Paris in 1985 and is represented today in 270 cities in 40 countries all across Europe and has about 17,000 members. Since its inception, it is estimated that over 100,000 students have joined the organization.
The main objective of AEGEE is to promote the idea of a united Europe and, more generally, European integration and borderless cooperation and communication among students, so as to give as many Greek students and young people as possible the opportunity to travel to Europe, to meet their peers from other countries and to share their views and ideas with them. In addition to seminars and conferences on issues related to the economy, the environment, technology, education and so forth, AEGEE’s biggest and most widely known activity is its Summer University.
AIESEC is the largest international, non-governmental student organization in the world, with a network that includes 126 countries, 2,400 universities and more than 70,000 members. The vision of AIESEC is for its members to grow through the experiences that it offers them, and to provide them with cultural and employment knowledge and understanding, thus creating an international network of change agents whose goal is to have a positive impact on society. The members of the organization have the opportunity to work cooperatively together, to interact with people from all over the world and to develop their leadership opportunities through the opportunities they are offered and the experiences they have every day.
Every year over 6,000 young people have the opportunity to participate in a unique experience by traveling to one of the countries in the AIESEC network and doing their internships for a period ranging from 1.5 months to a year.
An AIESEC chapter was founded at Athens University of Economics and Business in 1956, just 8 years after the founding of the worldwide organization in 1948. The local committee at AUEB, the first local committee established in Greece, has offered approximately 1,900 students an international experience in Greece and abroad, and it continues to offer qualitative experiences to the University’s students. Since 2011 AIESEC has been offering four programmes: Team Member Programme, Team Leader Programme, Global Internship Programme, and Global Community Development Programme.
- AUEB STUDENTS' INVESTMENT & FINANCE CLUB
- The AUEB Students' Investment & Finance Club was established at the beginning of 2013 by 22 AUEB students and AUEB graduates with the goal of providing a focal point for students who are interested in learning more about, and acquiring practical knowledge of, the fields of Finance, Investment and Consulting. It is a non-political, non-profit student initiative of a social nature and has a purely educational purpose. Students and recent graduates of Athens University of Economics and Business are eligible to apply to become members. Further information is available on the Club’s https://auebsifc.com/ or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
- FREE AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE COMMUNITY OF AUEB
- Information: https://foss.aueb.gr/
- AUEB STUDENT ENTREPRENEURSHIP CLUB ThinkBiz
The student entrepreneurship club ThinkBiz was launched in 2012 and is a student organization that promotes a culture of entrepreneurship at the University. It is an effort by students for students, which aims to strengthen the entrepreneurial environment at the University through regular actions such as training, workshops, competitions and interactive games, and through the exchange of ideas and the implementation of projects. Its actions are always centered around cooperation, openness and innovation, and involve networking, research, skills and creative thinking about entrepreneurship in Greece.
The mission of ThinkBiz is to cultivate the concept of entrepreneurship in the student community, but also to inspire and motivate individuals to start something of their own, with the aim of connecting the business ecosystem with the University.