Mission, Vision, Values & Strategic Priorities 2022-2025
Athens University of Economics and Business
Undergraduate Studies Program
Postgraduate Studies Program
Life-Long Learning Center (KEDIVIM)
Internal Quality Assurance System
Innovation and Entrepreneurship Unit (MOKE)
Doctoral Studies Program
National Strategic Reference Framework (ESPA)
Integrated National Quality Information System (OPESP)
Quality Assurance Unit (MODIP)
Special Account for Research Funds (ELKE)
Special education staff (EEP)
Laboratory teaching staff (EDIP)
Special technical laboratory staff (ETEP)
Private-Law of Indefinite Duration (employment relationship) (IDAX)
The Strategic Plan of the Athens University of Economics and Business (2022-2025) defines the mission, vision and values of the University and the strategic priorities set for their fulfillment. Each priority is elaborated into specific strategic objectives. For each objective, action plans, Key Performance Indicators, measures and targets are provided.
This document comprises three chapters. The first chapter aligns mission, vision, and values with the strategic priorities set. The second chapter elaborates each strategic priority in terms of realistic, achievable, and measurable strategic objectives.
Chapter 1: Mission, Vision, Values & Strategic Priorities 2022-2025
The production and dissemination of knowledge in fields that serve the national and international economy and society, as well as the cultivation of responsible citizens who can create, participate in, contribute to, and become leaders in the national and international context.
A model University which will function as a distinguished and cohesive academic community producing high quality research and offering high quality education, aligned with the highest standards of academic excellence and extroversion, and which will have a strong presence in the international academic context and will address effectively contemporary economic and societal challenges.
The values the University advocate the following:
- Excellence: the high quality that characterizes all educational and research activities of the University.
- Academic freedom & ethics: the freedom of thought, speech and expression which is in line with the principles of democracy, ethics, integrity, equality, and, in general, the freedom of personality development.
- Innovation: the creation, development and implementation of ideas that are transformed into new services and processes contributing to the production and utilization of research outcomes.
- Extroversion: the participation of the University through national and international collaborations in networks of production and dissemination of knowledge in the context of an open society.
- Social Responsibility: the contribution of the University to social and economic prosperity, through education, research, training, public events, and various other actions.
The vision of Athens University of Economics and Business is realized through its strategic plan which is based on the following priorities:
- Excellence in Research, which focuses on the sustainable and progressive development and promotion of research activities.
- Excellence in Education, which is achieved through exemplary organization and modernization of study programs in the scientific domains cultivated in the University , incorporating significant new trends of science, technology, and the needs of the labor market.
- Connection with Society, which is implemented through the networking and the interconnection of the University with the Entrepreneurship Ecosystem, with its contribution to lifelong learning, the development of new skills and the promotion of sustainable development principles.
- Internationalization, which refers to the development of strategic alliances and the strengthening of the international educational and research collaborations of the University with higher education and research institutions abroad, ensuring the international competitiveness of its study programs and the improvement of its position ranking in the international evaluation bodies.
- Upgraded university environment, which relies on digital development, increase of its funding resources, upgrading of its infrastructure, strengthening of its educational, research, and administrative services, and the improvement of skills of its human capital.
- Quality Assurance, which presupposes the creation of a well-structured and organized internal environment founded on the principles and practices of quality management with the full participation of all academic community members.
Definition of Strategic Objectives and Indicators for each Strategic Priority
The strategic objectives of the Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB) are fully in line with the strategic priorities of the Institution. These priorities constitute the compass of the Institution's Strategic Planning and include the empowerment and excellence of research, excellence in education, the exploitation of the knowledge produced, the internationalization of the institution and the modern university environment.
The Institution defines, for each strategic priority, appropriate strategic objectives and performance indicators, the monitoring and measurement of which contributes substantially to the implementation of each strategic priority as follows:
- Excellence in Research
The strengthening and excellence of research as a strategic priority focuses on increasing the number and improving the quality of scientific publications, the development of research programs and international research collaborations.
The objectives of the institution in relation to this strategic priority are linked to the improvement of performance in the production and recognition of the work of the members of the teaching and research staff, the production of research by the new research potential of the University and the attraction of external funding for research.
These specific objectives of the Institution in the field of research aim to enhance the knowledge produced, the international reputation and prestige of AUEB, as well as its comparative positioning in the international rankings. In addition, they contribute to the strengthening of the University's research activity and are a factor in enhancing the University's financial resources, as well as a key incentive for the development of modern research infrastructures.
With reference to this strategic priority, the Institution, in addition to the above-mentioned strategic objectives, sets specific indicators related to the empowerment and excellence of research, as follows:
- The strategic objective of improving the production and recognition of the work of the members of the teaching and research staff is implemented through the monitoring of indicators such as the average number of papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals and the average number of hetero-citations. It is considered important in the future for the university to measure the average number of publications of faculty members in leading journals (top journals). ) for all scientific fields treated by AUEB.
- In addition to the existing regular teaching and research staff, the Institution also has a dynamic cohort of PhD and postdoctoral researchers. The production and development of research output by new researchers is monitored by specific indicators such as the average annual number of doctoral dissertations awarded per DSP (Doctoral Studies Program), the average annual number of doctoral dissertations under supervision per faculty member across the institution, and the average number of scientific publications per doctoral candidate, the annual number of postdoctoral positions, and the average number of scientific publications of postdocs during their postdoctoral research.
- The strategic objective of attracting external funding for research is linked to indicators such as the level of funding from the NSRF or other national funding bodies, the level of funding from the European Union (EU) or other international funding bodies, the level of funding of applied industrial research nationally and internationally, and the funding of projects per faculty member. These indicators record important elements linked to the allocation of funds and influence the development of the Institution's research activity.
- Excellence in Education
Excellence in education as a key objective of the institution refers to the provision of high-level undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral studies. To this end, the Institution monitors international scientific developments and continuously enriches the study programs it provides both in terms of scientific themes and content and in terms of innovative teaching methods.
The strategic objectives of the institution based on this strategic priority concern the improvement of the quality of the Programs of Study, the increase of participation in the educational/learning process, the timely completion of studies particularly for undergraduate programs, the quality of the educational work as well as the improvement of student care and pastoral services.
With reference to this strategic priority, the Institution, has aligned the above-mentioned strategic objectives with specific indicators related to excellence in education, as follows:
- The objective of improving the quality of the Curricula is achieved through the monitoring of indicators such as the percentage of certified Curricula, the percentage of internal evaluations of Curricula and the percentage of updated Diploma Annexes. Important indicators that are monitored are the percentage of graduates who are satisfied with the quality of the Curriculum, the average student evaluation values of all courses across all study programs, as well as the average student evaluation values of all the teachers across all study programs. A significant indicator is the average percentage of offers made out of the total number of applications submitted for participation in AUEB postgraduate programs.
- The objective of improving participation in the educational/learning process and the timely completion of studies is realized through the monitoring of indicators such as the percentage of active undergraduate students against total enrollments, and the average annual percentage of graduations in undergraduate studies programs against the total number of active students in the undergraduate study programs. In addition, important are the indicators concerning the average annual percentage of study duration up to the minimum n (=4) years, from n to n+1, n+1 to n+2, but also more than n+2 years. Finally, the indicator of the average participation rate of students in the examination periods of undergraduate courses is also considered important.
- The objective of enhancing the quality of the educational work is achieved through the monitoring of indicators such as the average annual percentage of graduates with a degree grade > 8.00/10.00, the average annual degree grade in the Undergraduate Programs and the average annual postgraduate diplomas granted. The same quality assurance category of educational work includes the average number of undergraduate students participating in mobility programs per USP. This indicator supports the objective of increasing the mobility of undergraduate students moving through the Erasmus Program and is part of the quality of the educational work.
- Student care is inextricably linked to the improvement of the students' quality of life, creating suitable conditions for the implementation of the educational process. The improvement of student care as a strategic goal is reflected in the subsistence costs per student and the percentage of students with health insurance coverage.
- Connection with Society
The strategic priority concerning the utilization of the knowledge produced refers to the dissemination of the knowledge produced, and the promotion of innovation and youth entrepreneurship inside and outside the University.
The strategic objectives of the Institution for the fulfillment of this strategic priority focus on the institution's human resources and concern their development and adequacy as well as the improvement and dissemination of the acquired student knowledge to students to external parties. Finally, this strategic priority is linked to the strategic objective of AUEB to enhance employability and entrepreneurship.
To fulfill its mission, the University collaborates with industrial, government and non-government organizations for the on-the-job training of its students through the AUEB internship program.
With reference to this strategic priority, the Institution, in addition to the above-mentioned strategic objectives, sets specific indicators related to the exploitation of the knowledge produced, as follows:
- The objective of the development and competence of the teaching staff is implemented through the monitoring of indicators such as the average annual number of faculty members per study program, the ratio of students to teachers, and the average number of faculty and administrative personnel per academic department.
- The objective of improving the general and specialized knowledge of academic and administrative staff is realized through the monitoring of indicators such as the number of faculty members participating in mobility programs, the number of non-faculty staff participating in mobility programs and the number of administrative staff participating in training programs.
- The objective of enhancing employability and entrepreneurship is implemented through the monitoring of indicators that record the number of students who have completed internships, the percentage of students who have been offered employment by their internship organization, the percentage of graduates who consider that the provision of services of the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Unit is satisfactory, as well as the number of participants in Lifelong Learning programs of AUEB.
The main objective of University's strategy for internationalization, is the active participation of the Institution in the global academic environment, the development of high-profile international collaborations and the general strengthening of its international impact and reputation through excellence in research and education.
The strategic objective based on this strategic priority concerns the enhancement of the internationalization of the curricula, which is inextricably linked to the previous strategic priority concerning excellence in research and education.
The University, in the context of the strategic objectives of enhancing the internationalization of study programs and the encouragement of interdepartmental/inter-university collaborations, focuses on the strengthening of existing and the establishment of new foreign-language postgraduate programs, and the increase of the English language undergraduate courses offered in the Erasmus program, the promotion of cooperation with high quality universities abroad for the implementation of joint research and educational programs and the international exchange of students and members of its teaching and administrative staff. The Institution systematically appears in university evaluation tables drawn up by international bodies, enhancing its international visibility and recognition.
With reference to this strategic priority, the Institution, in addition to the above-mentioned strategic objectives, sets specific indicators related to internationalization, as follows:
- The objective of enhancing the internationalization of the study programs is realized beyond the indicators contained in the above-mentioned priorities of excellence in research and education, and through the monitoring of indicators such as the number of collaborations with academic institutions / institutions abroad, the percentage of international students participating in Postgraduate Programs (PSP) of AUEB, and the percentage of undergraduate courses taught in English (Erasmus).
- A systematic comparative analysis in the context of continuous improvement and development is conducted on international rankings of the Institution monitoring the change in the ranking position and/or overall evaluation score in relation to all applicable international league tables.
This specific strategic objective has been set as one of the top priority objectives of the current strategic plan and is described in detail in Annex I.
- Modern University Environment
Fostering a modern university environment is an important strategic priority of the University and aims to promote cooperation with all members of the academic community to improve the operating conditions of the Institution.
The strategic objectives of the Institution for the fulfillment of this strategic priority are the achievement of adequacy of educational facilities and infrastructures, the development and upgrading of administrative services and digital platforms, as well as the increase of the Institution's overall funding.
The University aims at the continuous modernization of its operation with an efficient and effective operating model, and with the upgrading of its infrastructures. In this context, it seeks to acquire and deploy integrated IT infrastructures, to formulate flexible and efficient operating procedures and internal control methods, and to continuously evaluate the performance of its administrative services. Regarding its facilities, it aims to rationalize the use and upgrade the quality of its premises, to expand its building infrastructures, as well as to strengthen the safety of and mitigate the risks on its assets, students, and staff. For the realization of the above, it is considered necessary to utilize existing and seek alternative sources of funding.
With reference to this strategic priority, the Institution, in addition to the above strategic objectives, sets specific indicators related to the modern university environment, as follows:
- The objective of the adequacy of the educational infrastructure is implemented through the monitoring of indicators such as the average annual number of attending students per classroom capacity, the average annual number of classrooms available per study program
- The objective of developing and upgrading administrative services and digital infrastructures is achieved through the monitoring of indicators such as the percentage of employees in the financial, IT, and facilities management services, against total staff headcount. In this category, the indicators concerning the allocation of financial resources to core services for the University such as the Library and the Student Union (responsible for subsistence and housing) are considered important. Such indicators include the percentage of library costs covered in the annual budget, the percentage of storage and security costs on the regular budget, and the percentage of student subsistence expenses in the annual budget.
- The objective of increasing the total funding of the Institution is implemented through the monitoring of indicators such as total annual government funding of the Institution’s budget, the fixed operational costs per member of staff, and the average annual total funding per faculty member. Finally, indicators such as the percentage of funding coming from the SARF in relation to the Institution’s budget, as well as the rate of funding from other resources in relation to the regular budget, are also considered important.
- Quality Assurance
Quality Assurance assumes the creation of a well-structured and organized internal environment founded on the principles and practices of quality management with the full participation of all community members.
Athens University of Economics and Business implements a quality policy aimed at continuously improving the quality of the curricula, research activities and administrative services of the Institution, with the goal of upgrading the University’s academic and administrative work and operation.
The achievement of this goal is realized through the University’s commitment to the provision of high quality services, in order to continuously respond to the needs and the expectations of its students and alumni; its teaching, research and administrative staff; the various stakeholders that work cooperatively with the University; and the society.
With the fundamental goal of international recognition as a center of excellence in the scientific fields of Economics, Business Administration, and Information Sciences, Athens University of Economics and Business establishes, implements, monitors, and maintains a Quality Assurance System. The Quality Assurance System determines the processes relevant to the efficient organization of academic and non-academic services, the efficient management of facilities, infrastructures and financial resources, the effective utilization and development of the University’s human resources, and the University’s compliance with the standards set by the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQA). Moreover, it defines the responsibility of the University Leadership with regard to the efficient implementation of the Quality Assurance System and supports the academic principles of ethics and prevention of discrimination.
The implementation of the University's quality objectives is contingent upon:
- An orientation toward the full satisfaction of students’ needs through the provision of high-quality education in modern disciplines, in tandem with research and the internship program.
- A focus on satisfying the needs of the Institution’s human resources through their participation in decision making and their continuing education and skills enhancement.
- High performance by the Institution, through systematic actions designed to improve its structure, processes, and human resources, and to effectively utilize all available resources to promote its efficient functioning.
- Effective management of the Institution through the adoption and fulfillment of specific objectives and based on an Internal Quality Assurance System.
- Strengthening the international prestige of the Institution and enhancing the visibility of its overall contribution to the international academic community as well as to the wider community.
- Transparency and compliance with the University’s “Regulations and Procedures” by the various interest groups.
- Operation of the Institution according to internationally accepted standards of quality.
- A focus on excellence, innovation, entrepreneurship, and extroversion through synergies with other educational institutions, the public sector, and the private sector in Greece and abroad.
The quality policy is directly linked to, and forms an integral part of, the Institution’s Strategic Plan, in full alignment with its strategic priorities presented in Chapter 1.
An essential prerequisite for the effective implementation of the Internal Quality Assurance System is a clear commitment from the University’s Leadership, academic and administrative departments, personnel, and students, in accordance with the roles they play within the context of quality assurance.
The University Leadership undertakes the responsibility to contribute to:
- Harmonization of the quality policy with the overall strategic goals of the Institution at the academic and administrative levels of functioning.
- Dissemination of the quality policy to the academic and administrative staff, at all levels of administration, and to the representatives of the University community (staff, students, collaborating partners, etc.) through regular informational meetings and through the exchange of opinions with regard to the Internal Quality Assurance System.
- Ensuring the resources necessary for the implementation of the quality policy and the smooth functioning of the Internal Quality Assurance System.
- Monitoring the implementation of the quality objectives, the key performance indicators (KPIs) and the overall operation of the Internal Quality Assurance System through annual reviews.
- Decision making with regard to the continuous improvement in the quality of the educational, research and administrative activities of the Institution within the framework of the review of the Internal Quality Assurance System.
- Development of a suitable operating environment for the Quality Assurance Unit (QAU), its staffing with sufficient and highly qualified personnel, as well as their regular training and evaluation.
Within this context, the Leadership of Athens University of Economics and Business actively supports the evaluation procedures of the Institution which are coordinated by the Quality Assurance Unit (QAU). Parallel to this, it encourages the use of various Total Quality Management tools in order for the Internal Quality Assurance System to operate at the Institution.